Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bento #7 & Recipe

Mini quiche to thaw for tomorrow (I think this one is chicken and jack, hard to tell), blueberries, and more sweet potato fries.
Bento #7

The mini-quiche recipe is from Lunch at our House blog. I was introduced to her blog from ANOTHER blogger and once I saw her lunches, I was hooked! I searched her archives and found her mini-quiche recipe, which I've made and frozen a couple batches for my school lunch last year. They're fabulous,

Here you go!

Mini Quiches
1-2 cups diced ham or chicken or meat of your choice
8oz shredded cheese of your choice
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Bisquick or similar baking mix

Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
Cover the bottom of each cup with meat, then sprinkle cheese on top of that (maybe a couple of teaspoons of each).
In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and baking mix till the lumps are gone, you may want to use an electric mixer here.
Pour a little of the egg mixture over the meat/cheese mixtures till the muffin cup is filled almost to the top.
Bake 400 for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

This also works with a regular pie pan for a whole quiche, but up the baking time to about 40-45 minutes.

I usually freeze them after cooling. I pack lunch at night, so I just pop one in the box at night, put it in the fridge, and out to school the next morning. They're perfectly thawed by lunchtime.

My favorites so far are, chicken with jack, chicken with pepper jack, bacon with cheddar, and ham and Swiss.

I was really excited to find her recipe because my mother and I used to get Quiche Muffins from Paradise Bakery in the mall, after my skating lessons when I was little. The quiche muffins seemed to be just cheese and spinach and look just like how this recipe turns out. I've tried the recipe with frozen/thawed spinach and they taste nothing like the bakery's. My mom and I are now thinking that they tasted so good because they were practically all cheese. So, I'm still fiddling with that recipe. I'll post it if I ever figure it out worthy enough to post. Jackson doesn't seem to mind my testers though. It's one way I've snuck some spinach in him willingly.

(We don't have a Paradise Bakery anywhere NEAR us now though, a lot have closed down. But, they won't give me the recipe. I've tried. If you do have one, I highly recommend their Quiche Muffins, Pumpkin Muffins, and Sugar Cookies.)

2 comments:

  1. Great lunch! And glad you like the recipe. It is one of my kids' favorites! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally recommend this quiche - I'm having it for lunch today and so is Deacon.

    ReplyDelete